African Angle Breakfast Series: Social Impact Investing: Opportunities for Investment in Africa
The NTU-SBF Centre for African Studies has developed a breakfast series during which topics of relevance for Africa and those interested in Africa will be addressed. Experts in their fields will be invited to convey their points of view.
According to McKinsey, many companies and banks are eager to find investments that generate business and social returns. One strategy is “impact investing,” namely directing capital to enterprises that generate social or environmental benefits—in projects from affordable housing to sustainable timberland and eye-care clinics—that traditional business models often sidestep. These are the type of projects Africa has a great need of. However, mainstream investors often fear to tread on this terrain, leaving the field to adventurous venture capitalists and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) who act as “first institutional investors.” Impact investing may be forecast to grow to more than US$300 billion by 2020, but even that would be a small fraction of the US$2.9 trillion or so that will likely be managed by private-equity (PE) firms worldwide in 2020. As more companies and larger investors become acquainted with the true situation, they’ll find investment opportunities that align with their social and business aims.
The Aavishkaar Africa Fund has developed a three-pronged investment strategy to tap into social impact investing projects. After India and Asean they have moved into Africa, where they will be targeting both East and West African economies that are reasonably diversified. Mr Vineet Rai, CEO and MD of Aavishkaar, will be talking about his company’s approach to and the situation regarding impact investing in Africa.
Attendees can expect to gain insights into the following:
• Understanding the dynamics of impact investing and getting to know Aavishkaar
• Understanding impact investing in Africa
• Understanding the challenges and opportunities for social impact investors
• Network with like-minded individuals
15 November 2018 (Thursday)
08.30am - 09.00am
Registration of Participants and Light Breakfast
09.00am - 09.45am
Impact Investing: Opportunities for Investment in Africa Mr Vineet Rai, Founder & CEO of Aavishkaar
09.45am - 10.00am
Question & Answer Session
• Registration is on a first-come first-served basis, and closes at noon on 26 September 2018 (Wednesday).
• Given building security at SBF Center, we highly recommend all participants register in advance for the event, in order to facilitate with seamless admission on event-day.
• The organisers reserve the right to make amendments and/or changes to the programme, venue, speakers and/or topics if warranted by circumstances beyond control.
Date : 15 November 2018, Thursday Time : 8:30am - 10:00am Venue : SBF Seminar Room 1 @ SBF Center Dress Code : Business Attire
|Event Date||15-Nov-2018 8:30 am|
|Event End Date||15-Nov-2018 10:00 am|
|16-Oct-2018 7:00 am|
|Cut off date||12-Nov-2018 7:00 pm|
|Location||SBF Seminar Room @ SBF Centre|