NTU-SBF Centre for African Studies Business Model Competition 2019
Students are invited to form teams of three (3) and to develop a business model and plan for a new business in Africa. The team can choose one of the following options:
- Develop a business model and implementation plan for a new start-up in Africa.
- Develop a business model and implementation plan for a new subsidiary in Africa of an existing Singaporean company.
The objectives of the competition are simple:
- To increase awareness of Africa as an investment destination amongst the young people of Singapore.
- To stimulate thinking of startups in the emerging countries of the world.
- To stimulate the entrepreneurial competencies of the young people of Singapore.
- All undergraduate students of Singapore are invited to participate in the Africa Business Model and Business Plan Competition 2019. Teams must consist of three (3) registered students at a registered university or polytechnic in Singapore.
- Teams are welcome to invite registered undergraduate students from other universities in Singapore to participate in their team, should they want to.
- Do an analysis of the country in Africa and industry of choice.
- Develop a feasibility study of the selected target market.
- Develop a business model for the start-up by using the framework of Osterwalder & Pigneur (2010). This is available in their book, Business Model Generation. Alternatively, a shortened pdf version is also available on the web (https://strategyzer.com/books/business-model-generation).
- Develop a business plan to bring the business model to fruition.
The groups compete for the following prizes:
- First prize: The first prize entails a visit to an African country for the winning team, where they will visit actual startups and have meetings with networks of entrepreneurs.
The prize will cover the following:
Plane tickets for the team
• Accommodation for 1 week
• All meals for the duration of the visit
• Daily spending allowance of S$150
- Second prize: S$4200 for the team
- Third prize: S$2400 for the team
CONTACTS AND ENQUIRIES
Any questions can be directed to the Director of NTU-SBF Centre for African
- Johan Burger
|Event Date||14-Mar-2019 12:00 am|
|14-Mar-2019 12:00 am|
|Cut off date||03-May-2019 12:00 am|
|Location||NTU-SBF Centre for African Studies|